CDL/Seasonal Public Utility Worker 2
Job Summary: The City of Gresham is seeking two (2) skilled, reliable and hard-working individuals to work as Seasonal Public Utility Worker 2s (PUW 2) in our Transportation Division located at the City of Gresham Operations Center. The Seasonal PUW 2 is distinguished from Seasonal Public Utility Worker I positions by the performance of more complex work functions, including the requirement of a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Air Brake Endorsement. Seasonal PUW 2 are temporary assignments for six (6) months and not eligible for benefits, other than Oregon Sick Leave. The seasonal work will run from April 29, 2024 through October 28, 2024. You can expect to work a set schedule of 4 days/10-hour shift during Monday - Friday and no weekends. This job announcement will remain open until positions are filled. First review of applications will take place the week of February 26, 2024. Interviews will be held on March 11th and 12th at Gresham City Hall. We will train on all tasks to be performed.
Job Responsibilities: Seasonal employees support good roadways in the City of Gresham. As a Seasonal PUW 2, you will perform installation, maintenance, repair activities on the City's street systems and related facilities. To accomplish this work, you will be required to operate a dump truck with a trailer, a variety tools and equipment such as: shovels, picks, hand and riding mowers, drills, jackhammers, compressors and portable concrete saws.
Working Conditions: For some work tasks, you may operate a variety of heavy equipment including backhoes, loaders, pavers, rollers, and tractors. Work is performed both alone and as part of a team; mostly outside in varying weather conditions for long periods of time. There may be exposure to loud noises, sewer systems, hot tar and asphalt, gasses, fumes, paint chemicals and pesticides, and some risk of physical hazard from equipment. This position involves constant movement and occasional lifting of heavy objects.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• High school graduate or GED.
• One (1) to four (4) years of experience in related physical work.
• Valid Commercial driver's license (CDL) with air brake endorsement and 1 year experience driving "Class A" vehicles.
• Good driving record (based on our driving matrix).
• No previous DOT drug and alcohol testing violations.
• Must be at least 18 years of age on hire date.
• Must have the physical ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 85 pounds and perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation.
• Effective communication skills - must understand instructions in English, both orally and in writing.
Please note: City vehicles may be either standard or automatic. We need someone who can operate both proficiently.
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
• Since the nature of this work involves physical movement, your strength and agility are required to perform manual labor.
• Since the weather conditions can vary, your adaptability to conditions that may be uncomfortable is of great importance.
• We welcome your good communication skills to interact with other City employees and citizens in a courteous manner.
• There will be times that you will drive City vehicles which will involve completion of pre-trip inspections and safe, practical driving skills.
• Your work will be done in a team environment with some tasks being done alone.
Compensation: $26.07 Hourly
For more details and to apply, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/gresham/jobs/4377542/cdl-seasonal-public-utility-worker-2?pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs If you have questions, please contact HRRecruiting@GreshamOregon.gov