Habitat for Humanity Portland Region
Compensation: $65,000 - $78,000
Job Summary: The Construction Manager is a management position that leads Habitat for Humanity Portland Region construction field staff and volunteers in performing in-house construction activities, including site preparation, foundation systems, rough framing, window/door installation, weatherproofing, siding, interior and exterior painting, flooring installation, millwork installation, fence building, site drainage, and landscaping.
This position directly oversees all work teams in the construction department. This person is the first point of contact for the Site Superintendent to assist in recommendations for solving field related, project build construction issues. The Construction Manager is a critical team member working with the Director of Construction, the Project Manager, and the VP of Construction in developing best site practices, schedule progression, processes, and quality control measures as well as the training other field staff in all elements.
• Leads day-to-day construction activities and supervises other site superintendents, assistant superintendents, crew leads, volunteers, and future homebuyers. This person must be mindful of the diverse abilities of Habitat volunteers and homebuyers and assign work accordingly for successful accomplishment. Providing a quality volunteer experience is a key element of Habitat’s mission.
• Coordinates with the site superintendent and the individual site staff to prioritize daily/weekly scheduled tasks to be accomplished by Habitat staff, homebuyers, and volunteers.
• Participates in the development and supervision of project schedules. Communicates issues of concern and potential schedule delays to the Director of Construction and project manager, as necessary.
• Assists the site superintendent on the resolution of discrepancies and conflicts with trade partners and other project associates as well as oversees back-charge process with project team.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
• High school diploma or equivalent
• Minimum 2 years of college.
• Minimum 7 years total experience in residential construction – minimum 5 of those years as a lead carpenter/construction superintendent and minimum 2 of those years experience in residential new construction with an emphasis on tract/production of homes and/or apartments
• 2 years of commercial superintendent experience.
• Proven knowledge and ability to take a project from plans to a completed structure, including blueprint reading, preparing material take-offs and extensive knowledge of all phases of residential construction.
• Working knowledge of the 2011 Oregon Residential Specialty code
• Excellent math skills
• Ability to read and review plans, shop drawings, and field drawings.
• Ability to engage with the design team to solve complex building components as well as manage RFI process.
• Ability to assess capabilities of others and to teach construction techniques to experienced staff as well as unskilled homeowners and volunteers.
Preferred Skills & Qualifications:
• Familiarity/experience with project management practices and scheduling software. Using Smartsheet.
• Leadership/management experience.
• Prior experience working with volunteers
• Sustainable home professional
Select One: Apply Online
TO APPLY: Submit the following materials at: https://tinyurl.com/habpdxjobs
• Cover letter addressing how your personal and professional experiences have prepared you for this position.
• Three professional references