Job Summary: Crew Leaders will work at the direction of and assist the Project Supervisor on all aspects of HistoriCorps projects. They will also maintain a welcoming and professional crew camp and kitchen. HistoriCorps’ Field Staff positions, including that of Crew Leader, are seasonal in nature and do not offer year-round employment. Seasons for new Crew Leaders will start as early as May and end as late as November; returning Crew Leaders’ seasons can start as early as February.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to the following:
- Adhering to and continually promoting a culture of safety on the worksite and in the camping area
- Driving HistoriCorps trucks and equipment trailers to job sites, often at great distances in between projects
- Planning, purchasing and preparing 3 meals a day in a camp kitchen for as many as 10 volunteers and paid crew
- Providing a safe, hygienic, clean, bear-proof camp kitchen in compliance with established food handling guidelines
- Assisting the Project
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- The ability and aptitude to cook, and enjoy cooking, meals for large groups (8-18 people at a time) in an outdoor kitchen without electricity or running water
- Infusing in others your enthusiasm for the wilderness and historic resources
- Work well in immersive group settings
- An aptitude and unflappable enthusiasm for working outdoors in variable weather in backcountry and other remote locations, with the understanding that such work requires long days (12+ hours)
- Able to live and work in a remote and/or backcountry setting (i.e. tents) for up to an extended period of time. Most projects are 2-4 weeks long, with weekend breaks.
- A valid driver’s license and a good driving record (HistoriCorps will verify a potential hire’s driving record)
- A rudimentary knowledge of hand tools and the building trades, and a willingness to learn
- Strong communication and conflict resolution skills
- Safety of all staff and workforce participants is paramount.
APPLY HERE: https://historicorps.org/crew-leader/