Ecological Restoration Crew Leader
Lead a diverse team to restore native forests, prairies, and wetlands primarily in the northern Willamette valley and Columbia River Gorge. The job consists of leading, motivating, and teaching a crew to conduct difficult manual labor in the outdoors during all kinds of weather. This position will require a degree of data collection and the operation of non-motorized boats, ATVs, trucks, and other equipment as needed.
This position requires excellent people management skills, knowledge of habitat restoration techniques, and the ability to do heavy lifting and long days of labor.
Specific job duties include:
● Creating and maintaining a positive team environment;
● Giving instructions, providing feedback, and motivating crew members;
● Working in remote environments, safely maneuvering on steep slopes and riparian environments;
● Instructing others in proper IPM techniques to manage non-native vegetation;
● Ability to safely use chainsaws, brushcutters, and other gas-powered equipment to clear woody vegetation;
● Overseeing the safe and effective application of herbicides to invasive species;
● Teaching and overseeing the installation of bare-root and containerized plants, trees, shrubs, plugs and bulbs;
● Identifying most common native and invasive plants in the PNW;
● Respectively communicating with diverse groups and individuals;
● Careful tracking of crew time, herbicides and other materials used at project sites;
● Packing trucks, safely transporting crew members and equipment to and from sites, unpacking trucks;
● Ability to take direction from Project Managers for site success;
● Implementing and adhering to company COVID protocols and procedures.
● 2 – 5 years of relevant experience in environmental restoration, wildland fire, conservation, or environmental management as a technician, crew member, crew leader;
● Experience and advanced knowledge identifying PNW flora and fauna;
● Proficiency working with mobile data collection apps such as: Arc Collector, Fulcrum, Google Suite, TSheets or similar programs;
● Experience working with non-motorized watercraft, ATVs, trucks and trailers
● Self motivated and able to manage time efficiently and effectively;
● Bilingual in Spanish and English
● 50% Crew Leadership
● 40% Field work as Crew Member or Assistant Crew Leader
● 10% Monitoring, data keeping, mapping, and other technical duties related to client’s projects or business management
Scheduling and Benefits Package:
● Work-Week: 40 hours per week (Scheduling to be determined based on weather and work needs). Overtime will be regularly required in order to complete record keeping and driving responsibilities.
● This is a year round position.
● Wages: $19-22/hour worked.
● Simple IRA upon eligibility.
● Health insurance stipend available upon eligibility
● Paid Leave: 120 hours per calendar year plus paid holidays. Leave and holiday pay will not be accessible until employee has completed a three month probationary period
Interested applicants should submit a cover letter and resume by e-mail to Bollin@mosaicecology.com with the subject line reading “Crew Leader Job Application”. No phone calls please