Facilities Tech 3
The Facilities Technician 3 is responsible for performing a wide variety of duties for the purpose of maintaining and supporting the needs of the OHS Animal Shelter and Medical facility, grounds and vehicles. All duties are performed according to established safety procedures, OSHA requirements and department guidelines. Also responsible for mentoring and training new employees and volunteers and working as a collaborative team member with a high degree of customer orientation and attention to detail.
- Locate, read and interpret all facility blueprints, as well as OEM and shop manuals accurately.
- Maintain department documents in an orderly, readable and easily accessible manner.
- Understand and retain knowledge of the controls and components that operate OHS’ mechanical and utility systems, including HVAC, security, fire/sprinkler and lighting systems.
- Understand and retain knowledge of naming conventions pertinent to each system.
- Correctly locate and operate controls that shut off, modify or turn on systems.
- Must be able to quickly and effectively trouble shoot issues or problems with the system and initiate service calls to trained professionals.
- Paint in interior and exterior areas of the OHS facility, using prescribed colors and proper technique as specified by product specifications.
- Perform minor plumbing maintenance such as repairing plumbing leaks or breaks, opening clogged lines and drains, replacing washers and other minor parts and repairing pressure washing and soap pump fittings, hoses, PVC and galvanized pipe lines according to manufacturer protocols.
- Inspect and perform minor repairs on buildings and equipment, including light carpentry, mechanical and/or masonry work.
- Perform minor electrical maintenance including but not be limited to replacement or repair of fixtures (e.g. wall switches and outlets, incandescent and fluorescent bulbs and tubes, ballasts, sockets, fuses, minor appliances, cords, etc.) using appropriate hand, power and specialty tools.
- Assist in performing scheduled and "as needed" inspection and preventive maintenance on tools, equipment and vehicles to maintain operability of the tools and equipment. Accurately maintain records of scheduled maintenance procedures.
- Use standard measuring devices, levels and power tools in a safe and accurate manner and according to manufacturer guidelines, including but not limited to skills saws, jig saws, table saws, drills, drill press, routers and sanders.
- Maintain and operate vehicles in a safe and responsible manner at all times and report damages or required maintenance to Facilities Manager immediately upon observation. Ensure that each vehicle is stocked with appropriate emergency kit supplies.
- Respond to emergency maintenance requests as required.
- Assist Facilities Manager in training and overseeing work performed by the Facilities Technicians 1 and 2, and volunteers as assigned.
- In coordination with Volunteer Resources department, organize and lead volunteer work groups assigned to outdoor projects.
- Oversee volunteer compliance with OHS policies and procedures and communicate with Volunteer Resources Manager to determine action for non-compliant volunteers.
- Perform grounds duties and routines as needed.
- Perform pressure washing throughout the OHS campus as needed.
- Maintain forklift certification.
- Provide short term coverage for Facilities Manager during vacations or when otherwise away from the shelter.
- Adhere to all OHS safety, training, handling and transportation protocols in order to ensure that the shelter environment is safe for animals, the public, volunteers and other employees.
- Attend staff meetings and trainings as scheduled. Read and respond to emails and voicemails daily during schedule work shift.
- Write and send a daily report of job functions, issues and information from each shift worked to the Facilities Manager.
- Keep current with shelter event and program updates.
- Understand OSHA compliance regulations and building codes. Report and address any compliance and code violations.
- Keep office area, tool room, mechanical rooms, warehouses, facilities, grounds and fleet clean and organized.
- Clean up and proper organized storage of equipment, tools and materials must be performed at the end of each task performed.
- A safe and clean work area must be maintained at all times.
- Perform all duties as assigned by management.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- 3 year(s) Facilities experience; or combined OHS and Facilities experience.
- Able and willing to successfully complete Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) background check including a fingerprint.
- Able to read and interpret blueprints, sketches, and schematics as they relate to buildings and utilities services systems.
- Able to observe, record, and report unsafe working conditions and to follow safety standards in working with multiple services, tools, and equipment.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills - able to communicate with a diverse population in a consistently informative, confident, respectful, and professional manner.
- Able to maintain a professional appearance and exercise sound judgment during all interactions with the public, staff, volunteers, and vendors.
- Able to set goals, prioritize, delegate work, and provide feedback to others to complete multiple tasks on or before deadlines
- Able to demonstrate a high degree of independence, initiative, and organizational skills.
Visit Oregon Humane Society's website for the full position description and to apply.