Housing Rehab Project Technician
REACH believes that each employee makes a significant contribution to our success. That contribution should not be limited by the assigned responsibilities. Therefore, this job description is designed to outline primary duties, qualifications, and job scope, but not limit the employee nor the organization to just the work identified. It is our expectation that each employee will offer his/her services wherever and whenever necessary to ensure the success of our endeavors.
All REACH staff share a commitment to anti-racism; the identification and elimination of racism by actively changing oppressive systems, structures, policies, and attitudes so that historic and future harm can be eliminated for communities of color.
Works independently in the field to complete free health and safety home repairs for seniors, people with disabilities, and families living on a low-income throughout Portland. Completes home assessments and develops scope of work with other staff. Sets up and supervises volunteer projects. Provides excellent customer service and builds trust with clients in a respectful and culturally competent manner. Requires a demonstrated ability to improve operations, decrease project turnaround time, and work cooperatively with staff, subcontractors, volunteers, clients, and community partners.
Essential Functions/Major Responsibilities:
- Completes a variety of minor healthy homes repair projects using lead safe work practices. Repairs include carpentry, plumbing, safety aid installation, painting, general maintenance and more.
- Procures and delivers project supplies & materials.
- Coordinates subcontractor work with support from Housing Rehab
- Ensures all work completed safely, efficiently, and to codeand grant specifications. Reports unsafe or hazardous condition Uses lead-safe work practices.
- Maintains work areas in a clean, professional manne
- Ensures high client satisfaction rate
- Maintains complete records of repair work, mileage, project costs, and time.
- Maintains and securely stores program materials, supplies, tools, and equipment inventory. Anticipates and identifies need
- Completes home assessments with support of other staff.
- Enter data into SalesForce project management database
- Regular attendance is required in accordance with a regular schedule established for the positio
- Ability to practice cultural humility when interacting with co-workers and clients of diverse ethnic, religious, political, and cultural backgrounds and sexual or gender identities, treating everyone with respect and dignity.
REACH employees are expected and required to behave in a courteous and collaborative manner in doing REACH business and dealing with other staff, residents, and all contacts inside and outside the organization. Profanity, derogatory and abusive language will not be tolerated.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
This position requires residential rehab project coordination experience as well as demonstrated trades skills in carpentry, painting, plumbing, general home maintenance, and power and hand tool safety.
- A knowledge base in building codes and the permit process essential, as well as the ability to be bonded.
- Required to work independently as well as with volunteers with varying skill levels.
- Possess excellent verbal and interpersonal skills—able to communicate effectively and build trust with diverse clients, in a respectful and culturally-competent manner both on the phone, in writing, and in person.
- Must have own vehicle, capable of hauling tools, lumber, and ladders as well as their own hand and power tools.
- Working knowledge of Microsoft office Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Working knowledge of Smartphone technology including phone calls, calendar, email, and text.
- Be flexible and reliable, and able to manage multiple projects simultaneously.
- Minor drafting skills needed.
- Strong interpersonal and spatial relation
- Basic math skills, including the ability to calculate material needs and stair/ramp rise and run required.
- Ability to speak and write English
Scope and Accountability:
- Operates from established and well-known procedure
- Decisions are made within organization operating guideline
- Performs duties with little-to-moderate supervision.
- Position involves a moderate degree of complexity in dealing with recurring work situations with infrequent variations from the norm.
- Program Manager reviews work
- Job is not supervisory in nature. May involve supervision and support of voluntee Follows REACH volunteer policies and procedures.
Education and/or Experience:
- A minimum of two year’s residential rehab experience required.
- Experience managing projects preferred.
- Bicultural/Bilingual in Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Vietnamese a plus
Work Environment and Physical Demands:
The work environment and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands and reach with hands and arms; and readily and effectively communicate. The employee must lift and/or move up to 50 pounds on a regular basis and 100 pounds on an irregular basis. Vision abilities required by this job include ability to effectively see within an office work environment, which may include long term computer exposure, and to adjust focus accordingly.
- The employee will be using a variety of hand and power tools, chemicals, paints, and other construction worksite hazards.
- May require periods of walking, standing, or working in confined spaces.
- This position requires occasional evening and weekend work.
- May require the need for frequent shifting of priorities and deadlines.
- May be required to deal with distraught, angry and/or potentially violent people.
- Requires us of personal too
- Must have a valid driver’s license and valid liability insurance.
- Requires use of personal vehicle.
Salary Range: $20.41- $26.19hr.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people in this role. They are not intended to be a complete list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of staff in this role. All employees may be required to perform duties outside of their normal responsibilities from time-to-time, as needed. The job requirements are subject to change to reasonably accommodate qualified disabled individuals. REACH may modify or interpret this job description.
This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. REACH is an at-will employer; you retain the right to resign, with or without notice or cause. REACH reserves the same right in respect to termination.