Journey Level Carpenter
Neil Kelly is seeking an experienced Carpenter to join our team. This position is a great fit for someone who enjoys residential carpentry work, is a great communicator and likes working on a team. This position requires initiative, attention to detail, understanding of structural modifications and experience with historic and modern home construction. Neil Kelly Company is a nationally recognized residential design-build remodeling firm with over 70 years of success in the industry. We are a certified B Corporation and have been ranked among the 100 Best Green Workplaces in Oregon. We provide a friendly, team-based work environment, competitive compensation and great benefits. All Neil Kelly carpenters in Oregon must be active members of the NW Carpenters Union or join upon hire. You need to have the right tools to do the job and a pickup truck with canopy, or utility type van. You must be able to pass required pre-employment screenings including criminal background, motor vehicle report, and drug screen.
Carpenters at Neil Kelly work on a project team- consisting of a project manager, a designer, support staff and other skilled carpenters. Projects vary greatly in complexity and scale, so the ideal candidate will have the skills to build a home from the ground up or pitch in on simple projects if that’s what is needed. You will also be:
- Performing carpentry labor while protecting client property from undue dust and debris
- Providing customer security by locking up each day and making sure no hazards are left that could cause injury to customers, their pets or property
- Providing supervision of other carpenters as necessary
- Knowing and understanding all job-related paper work, permits, plans, change orders and specifications
- Assisting the Project Manager in meeting the specifications of the Neil Kelly Company contracts with our clients and subcontractors
- Checking all materials for quality and accuracy as it arrives at the job site
- Picking up and delivering materials
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- Customer service and client interaction skills, excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to work as a member of a team
- High level of ability to do: demo, site protection, framing, drywall repair (both nailing and finishing), window and door installation
- Exterior trim, cabinets, windows, doors, moldings, exterior trim, interior finish work
- Several years of experience with kitchen and bathroom remodeling as well as general home remodeling and maintenance
- Excellent interpersonal skills, problem analysis, diagnostic, and solution skills
- Self-motivated and able to work in a clean, tidy manor
- Ability to deliver and produce projects within approved time schedules and budgets
- Ability to read and understand blueprints and detailed specifications
- Construction math skills and the ability to use technology to research, learn and apply new skills as necessary
- Capacity to perform physical exertion
- Residential Carpenter Union Wages ($31.42/hour for single-family, $29.13 after deducting union fees) Union Benefits
- Neil Kelly pays fringe benefits: FULL healthcare coverage for you and your family, and pension contribution! This adds $13.81/hour in value to your total compensation package.
- Union Vacation/Time-off savings and distribution plans
- Tool reimbursement – earn up to $187 month, based on the tools you own. We pay 50% of the cost if you replace any of YOUR approved tools and/or need repairs.
- Mileage reimbursement
- Cellphone stipend of $55/month
- Work/life balance - Work a regular work week, and have weekends free!
- See the finished product and the smile on the homeowner's face when your work is completed!
- Opportunity to participate in our Vehicle Wrap Compensation program after 6 months of service (earn $300 or more a month if you qualify)
- Union Residential Wages and Benefits