Maintenance and Operations Supervisor
Oregon School of the Deaf
The Oregon School for the Deaf is hiring a Maintenance and Operations Supervisor!
Our Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD), located in Salem, Oregon, provides direct 24-hour educational and residential services to approximately 100 students who are Deaf or Hard of Hearing, kindergarten through age 21. OSD also acts as a resource to the entire state, providing special activities, consultation, and educational services to students, professionals, families, and the public.
All students enrolled at the Oregon School for the Deaf (OSD) are entitled to the best education that our resources can provide. Each student is valued as a unique individual, to be treated with dignity, in an atmosphere where individual differences are accepted. The ideal candidates are committed to ensuring that students reach their maximum potential in ASL and English, while also supporting their individual communication needs.
Please enjoy a video from OSD Director, Sharla Jones: Welcome Message.
What You Will Do:
- Supervise and direct the overall operations of the physical plant, stores, facility, and custodial services for OSD.
- Establish work schedule of trades people of the maintenance department so that work is completed with a minimum disturbance to other programs (classrooms, dorms, etc.).
- Develop and implement the operation and maintenance of the various mechanical systems of all buildings, i.e., fire alarm system, sprinklers, energy management system, HVAC system, etc.
- Responsible for purchasing and distributing supplies for the maintenance department.
- Direct the maintenance of a perpetual inventory of all supplies and an annual physical inventory for the entire campus.
- Direct the maintenance and repairs of a lap pool to meet the county health standards.
- Maintain up to date knowledge of federal and state regulations regarding student transportation. Monitor drivers of state vehicles with proper licensing. Administer written tests to employees to meet requirements to drive state vehicles. Maintain the vehicles.
- Maintain a working knowledge of the maintenance and repairs of refrigeration and air conditioning systems.
- Maintain fiscal integrity of programs by making administrative decisions, determinations, and recommendations regarding physical plant operations and custodial services.
- Provide oversight/consultation/direction for special projects, capital construction and other special needs of the OSD programs
What We Are Looking For:
- Three years of journey-level trade experience maintaining and repairing buildings, physical plant facilities or grounds; and one additional year as a trades or maintenance supervisor.
- The ability to use American Sign Language as assessed by ASLPI Level 1 within a year of hire. (ASLPI levels can be found at https://www.gallaudet.edu/the-american-sign-language-proficiency-interview/aslpi/aslpi-preparation/aslpi-proficiency-levels/. ) Classes are offered to staff, and ongoing support is available.
- Experience managing a diverse staff of employees
- Experience with contract administration experience, older buildings and grounds maintenance
- An understanding of safety protocol relating to schools
- A broad knowledge of many trades and regulations because work is performed using in-house staff when possible (only large, technical jobs are contracted out) including:
- IPM coordinator/Limited building electrical license or Limited maintenance electrician (LME).
- Lead paint certification
- Asbestos management coordinator certification
- Contract administration certification
- State managers core curriculum boiler operation
- Maintenance and safety certification
- Building automation certification
- Field Print Background Check- Applicants will be subject to a fingerprint based criminal history check including driving record. There is a fee (payable by the successful candidate) of $71.50 for the process. Adverse background data may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude an appointment. The circumstances involved in the conviction will be considered.
Our Amazing Benefits:
- Excellent medical, vision and dental benefit package for the employee and qualified family members. Employees pay between 1%-5% of the monthly premium depending on plan chosen.
- Additional optional benefits, such as basic life insurance, short-term disability, long-term disability, and flexible spending accounts for health care and childcare expenses.
- Paid Time off (Holidays, Personal Leave, Sick Leave)
- Membership in the Public Employees Retirement System /Oregon Public Service Retirement Plan;
- Option to enroll in the Oregon Savings Growth Plan, a deferred compensation program offering a wide variety of investment options.
- A commitment to Wellness with lots of available resources.
- Access to Employee Assistance Program.
To compete for this position, please submit the following:
- A Professional Resume
- A Cover Letter of no more than 2-3 pages
The screening of candidates will be based on a review of the cover letter and attached resume. Candidates whose backgrounds most closely match the requested skills and desired attributes as outlined in this announcement will be invited to interview.
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions about the application process. Failure to complete these steps may result in the disqualification of your application.
About Salem, Oregon:
Salem, Oregon’s state capital city, is located in the center of the Willamette Valley. This area, dotted with cities, farms, wineries, and forests, is considered one of the most livable in the country - offering a low cost of living, good schools, and year-round pleasant weather. Salem is located less than one hour from Oregon’s major metropolitan area, Portland, and is approximately an hour and a half from the Pacific Ocean, the Cascade mountain range, and beautiful Mt. Hood.
- Monitor your Workday account and email, as all communication will be sent electronically. You must have a valid e-mail address to apply. Warning! The system will timeout after 20 minutes of inactivity. You must save your progress accordingly.
- This recruitment announcement will be used to establish a list of qualified candidates to fill the current vacancy and may be used to fill future vacancies as they occur.
- Eligible veterans who meet the qualifications will be given veterans' preference. For further information, please see the following website: Veterans Resources. You may also call the Oregon Department of Veterans' Affairs at 1-800-692-9666.
- The Oregon Department of Education does not offer visa sponsorship. Within three days of hire, all applicants will be required to complete the US Department of Homeland Security's Form I-9, confirming authorization to work in the United States. The Oregon Department of Education is an E-Verify employer. If you are a successful candidate you must present your I-9 acceptable documents (See page 3) for employment verification.
- Applicants will be subject to a fingerprint based criminal history check including driving record. There is a fee (payable by the successful candidate) of $71.50 for the process. Adverse background data may be grounds for immediate disqualification. Conviction of a crime will not automatically preclude an appointment. The circumstances involved in the conviction will be considered.
- You will be represented by Management Service.
Helpful links and contact information:
- Subscribe to our jobs!
- Learn more about the Oregon School for the Deaf
- Understanding the State Application Process
- Help & Support webpage
- Learn more about Oregon
- For additional information, please contact us by e-mail at email@example.com.
The Department of Education is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employer committed to a diverse workforce. The Department strives to create an inclusive environment that welcomes and values the diversity of the people we serve. We foster fairness, equity, and inclusion to create a workplace environment where everyone is treated with respect and dignity. We are most interested in finding the best candidate for the job. We would encourage you to apply, even if you don't meet every one of our qualifications listed. If you are unsure whether you meet the qualifications of this position, please feel free to contact us to discuss your application.