Seasonal Public Utility Worker 1 – Parks Operations
Job Summary: The City of Gresham has job opportunities for three (3) Seasonal Public Utility Workers (PUW I) in Parks Operations team with the Parks & Recreation division at the Gresham Operations Center. The Parks Division is seeking qualified, reliable and hard-working individuals to maintain the city's park facilities. The Seasonal PUW I are entry level positions and open to all adults, 18 years and older. Training will be provided to help you build the skills and knowledge for a career in public works at the City of Gresham or elsewhere. • Parks division Seasonals generally work from April through September 2024 The duration of the positions is up to six (6) months, not to exceed 960 hours and not eligible for benefits, except Oregon Sick Leave. You can expect to work a set schedule (4 days/10 hours per day -- Fridays, Saturdays, Sundays and Mondays).
Job Responsibilities: As a Seasonal Public Utility Worker, you will be responsible for performing regular and recurring installation, maintenance, repair and testing activities on Parks’ Amenities/Facilities and Park Lands. You will learn water quality sampling and receive confined space training. You will be the Parks customer service representative in the field on weekends, which may include answering questions and helping park patrons. You may operate a variety of tools and equipment such as: shovels, picks, power hacksaws, drills, jackhammers, compressors, portable concrete saws, hand and riding mowers, powered edgers, back-pack blowers, weed- eaters, powered pole-saws, chainsaws, skill saws, pressure washers, and brush chippers. We will train people on all tasks to be performed.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
• Must be a high school graduate or have passed the GED test of equivalency.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• Must possess a good driving record (based on our driving matrix as listed below)
• Must be at least 18 years of age by the date of the hire.
• Must possess the physical ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 85 pounds
• Successfully pass a physical and drug screen during conditional offer (pre-employment)
• Communicate effectively - must understand instructions in English, both orally and in writing
Driving Matrix: You will be disqualified from this process if you possess any of the following driving infractions:
• A major traffic offense or accident that results in death or major injury.
• Driving under the influence (DUI) offense within the last 5 years.
• Have more than 3 moving violations within a 3-year period or more than 2 within a one- year period.
• Have more than 2 accidents within a 3-year period.
Working conditions: Work is performed both alone and as part of a team; mostly outside in varying weather conditions for long periods of time. There may be exposure to loud noises, sewer systems, hot tar and asphalt, gasses, fumes, paint chemicals and pesticides, and some risk of physical hazard from equipment. This position involves constant movement and some lifting of heavy objects.
For more details and to apply, visit: https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/gresham/jobs/4378684/seasonal-public-utility-worker-1-parks-operations?page=2&pagetype=jobOpportunitiesJobs If you have questions, please contact HRRecruiting@GreshamOregon.gov