Supervisor – Field Line
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Field Line Supervisor - Portland Area
In this role, you’ll provide oversight to field transmission and distribution employees in safely installing, maintaining and repairing the power delivery system.
You will support our journey by:
- Supervising a team of technical bargaining-unit staff (typically journeymen or equivalent) responsible for performing operational work to ensure the safe, timely and efficient completion of work efforts relating to the construction, operation, maintenance and emergency restoration of the electric transmission and distribution system; partnering with supervisor, Field Operations, to provide daily supervision of team, ensuring that all relevant standards/procedures are followed.
- Visiting crews in field; observing pre-job and post-job briefings; providing on-the-spot coaching and feedback related to field work; verifying pre-job conditions; serving as a liaison between other departments and field crews; removing barriers to ensure field crews can complete work in a timely manner; providing work authorization and a point of escalation for field crews.
- Observing employees to ensure they are following all safety rules; conducting field visits to ensure team members have the appropriate tools and equipment to perform work safely; resolving safety issues/concerns in an appropriate and timely manner; communicating safety lessons learned and promoting continuous learning of safe work methods, practices and procedures.
- Ensuring that work is performed in accordance with all union contracts and agreements; responding to questions and concerns from crews regarding union work rules; serving as a liaison between field crews and Labor Relations/Human Resources; resolving issues or concerns while in the field.
- Observing and monitoring work to ensure timely completion; conducting visits and field observations to ensure team members have the appropriate tools and resources to perform the work; monitoring progress and ensuring that work is completed to regulatory and PGE standards; adapting work goals or expectations to meet changing business requirements or working conditions.
- Coordinating jobs with other PGE departments and forms strong cross-functional working relationships in coordinating activities and expediting information and material sharing; providing companywide subject matter expertise for area supervised; leading, coordinating or participating in special projects.
- Coordinating jobs with customers; provides timely information to all customers; responsive and proactive in addressing all customer concerns and complaints in a timely and responsive manner.
- Enforcing crew compliance with federal, state and company laws, standards and requirements.
- Monitoring and managing expenditures, ensuring that all financial targets are met, and examining any areas where budgets/expenditures vary from plan.
- Implementing resourcing decisions and planning for team; partnering with HR in the definition of jobs, recruitment, evaluation and selection processes.
- Maintaining knowledge of skill-development tools/resources; advising on required outcomes for learning or development from knowledge of available tools and organizational development needs; assisting employees in creating development plans and monitors progress.
You will bring the following skills to our team:
- A bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, IT or a related field or equivalent directly-related union experience.
- Prefer five or more years of experience in an electric utility with a focus on transmission and distribution or a related field; one year of leadership experience preferred.
- Experience as a Journeyman Lineman working for an Electric Utility is required.
- Advanced knowledge of utility operations, including tools and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures related to area of specialization (service and installation or substation, for example).
- Advanced knowledge of crew functions and duties related to area of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and equipment used in PGE meter operations.
- Advanced knowledge of vehicle, equipment and tool functional limits related to line construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PUC requirements for construction, repair and service work.
- Advanced knowledge of safe construction methods and PGE's standards of construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PGE's electric service requirements, National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Advanced knowledge of all PGE and Oregon OSHA safety rules.
- Advanced knowledge of personal protective equipment.
- A valid driver’s license and a history of safe driving practice.
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact: