Supervisor Field Operations
This is an exciting time to join Portland General Electric. As Oregon’s largest electric utility, Portland General Electric is leading an energy transformation that will harness the power of clean and renewable resources. Our vision for a clean energy future relies on three interrelated and overarching strategies: de-carbonize through investing in clean and reliable energy; modernize through a smarter more resilient grid; and empower our customers in their energy technology choices.
We’re searching for innovative, customer and results-obsessed leaders to help power our mission and lead the way in championing the world’s clean energy future!
Supervisor, Field Operations -- Gresham, OR
In this key role, you’ll be providing oversight to field transmission and distribution employees in safely installing, maintaining and repairing the power delivery system.
You will support our journey by:
- Supervising one or more field supervisors that supervise and/or a team of technical bargaining unit staff (typically journeymen or equivalent) responsible for performing operational work to ensure the safe, timely and efficient completion of work efforts relating to the construction, operation, maintenance and emergency restoration of the electric transmission and distribution system; responsible for the overall line operations of the line center; ensuring daily supervision of team, ensuring that all relevant standards/procedures are followed.
- Setting safety expectations with field supervisors and/or employees and holds them accountable; plans work in a way that ensures safe operational practices; resolving safety issues/concerns in an appropriate and timely manner; communicates safety lessons learned and promotes continuous learning of safe work methods, practices and procedures.
- Planning and structuring work in a way that aligns to union contracts and agreements; contributing to resolution of grievances and concerns in a timely and complete manner; partnering with local union leadership and Labor Relations/Human Resources to develop a healthy working relationship, building a collaborative environment and deal with employee issues.
- Planning and directing overall work to ensure timely and efficient execution; ensuring programs and personnel are in place and trained to fulfill work orders, requirements and customer needs; translating corporate and unit objectives into operating goals that support corporate strategy; ensuring productivity and accountability by establishing and monitoring and is responsible for individual and unit performance metrics, responsible for the budget for their department; evaluating and strategically planning for training requirements to ensure cost-efficient operations for long-term competitiveness.
- Coordinating jobs with other PGE departments and forms strong cross-functional working relationships in coordinating activities and expediting information and material sharing; providing company-wide subject matter expertise for area supervised; leading, coordinating or participating in special projects.
- Coordinating jobs with customers; providing timely information to all customers; responsive and proactive in addressing all customer concerns and complaints in a timely and responsive manner.
- Enforcing crew compliance with federal, state and company requirements.
- Monitoring and managing expenditures, ensuring that all financial targets are met, and examining any areas where budgets/expenditures vary from plan.
- Implementing resourcing decisions and planning for team; partners with HR in the definition of jobs, recruitment, evaluation and selection processes.
- Maintaining knowledge of skill-development tools/resources; advising on required outcomes for learning or development from knowledge of available tools and organizational development needs; assisting employees in creating development plans and monitors progress.
You will bring the following skills to our team:
- Requires a bachelor’s degree in business, engineering, IT, or related field or equivalent directly-related union experience.
- Prefer five or more years of experience in electric utility with a focus on transmission and distribution or a related field; one year of leadership experience preferred.
- Advanced knowledge of utility operations. including tools and equipment.
- Advanced knowledge of policies and procedures related to area of specialization (service and installation or substation, for example).
- Advanced knowledge of crew functions and duties related to area of specialization.
- Advanced knowledge of tools and equipment used in PGE meter operations.
- Advanced knowledge of vehicle, equipment and tool functional limits related to line construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PUC requirements for construction, repair and service work.
- Advanced knowledge of safe construction methods and PGE's standards of construction.
- Advanced knowledge of PGE's electric service requirements, National Electric Safety Code (NESC) and National Electric Code (NEC).
- Advanced knowledge of all PGE and Oregon OSHA safety rules.
- Advanced knowledge of personal protective equipment.
- A valid driver’s license and a history of safe driving practices
Join us today and power your potential!
To be considered for this position, please complete the following employment application by the posting close date. A cover letter may be needed with your application to be considered for this position.
PGE believes in rewarding strong performance. We provide a total compensation package that is designed to reward your contributions to the company, and, at the same time, support your well-being and professional development, both now and into the future.
PGE is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace and is an equal opportunity employer. PGE will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment based on race, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, religion, disability, protected veteran status, or other characteristics protected by law.
Assisting with storms or other Company emergencies is a part of all positions at Portland General Electric.
Talent Acquisition Contact: