Temporary Seasonal Employee – Public Works
The City of Gladstone is now taking applications for Temporary Seasonal Employment – Public Works. Applicants must be at least 18 years of age, have a valid Oregon driver's license and the ability to meet the city’s driving standards, have a High School diploma or GED equivalent, and three favorable work-related references. Qualified applicants will be invited to an interview and must pass a drug screen and must consent to a background check by the Gladstone Police Department. Duties include: trash collection, mowing, paving, general maintenance, drag and line and maintain softball/baseball fields, and assisting full time staff as needed. Typical work week is a maximum of 40 hours per week, including some weekends. This position lasts 6 months, or 1040 hours, whichever comes first.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- As a member of a crew or individually, repairs and maintains ballparks (including trash collection and restroom cleaning), and related park facilities.
- Performs routine inspection and preventive maintenance on assigned equipment and refers defects.
- Performs all duties in conformance to appropriate safety and security standards.
Desired Minimum Qualifications:
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Graduation from high school or GED equivalent
- Three favorable work-related references
Necessary Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Considerable knowledge of equipment, facilities, materials, methods and procedures used in maintenance, construction and repair activities
- Skill in operation of the listed tools and equipment
- Ability to work safely and ability to operate equipment in a safe manner
- Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with employees, other departments and the public
- Ability to understand and carry out written and oral instructions
- Valid Oregon Driver's license
Tools and Equipment Used:
- Motorized vehicles and equipment, including pickup truck, common hand and power tools, shovels, wrenches, phone.
- The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
- Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to use hands to finger, handle, feel or operate objects, tools, or controls and reach with hands and arms.
- The employee frequently is required to stand and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to walk; sit; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl; and smell.
- The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 100 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and peripheral vision.
Compensation: $17.42-$21.17 hourly based on experience
(4% COLA 7/1/23)
- The application packet may be downloaded from the city’s website www.ci.gladstone.or.us/jobs and will be accepted until all positions are filled.
- Completed materials must be received at Gladstone City Hall, Human Resources, 18505 Portland Ave, Gladstone, OR 97027, emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or faxed to 503-557-2761.
- Resumes may be included but will not be accepted in lieu of required materials.
- Veteran's Preference – Qualified veterans who meet the minimum qualifications for a position may be eligible for employment preference.
- If you think you qualify, please complete the Veteran’s Preference Form included in this recruitment notice and attach the required documentation.
- All veteran’s materials must be submitted with your employment application.
- Information submitted on, or with this form, will be used solely to determine your veteran's preference.