CDL/Seasonal Public Utility Worker 2
The City of Gresham is seeking two (2) skilled, reliable and hard-working individuals to work as Seasonal Public Utility Worker 2s (PUW 2) in our Transportation Division located at the City of Gresham Operations Center. The Seasonal PUW 2 is distinguished from Seasonal Public Utility Worker I positions by the performance of more complex work functions, including the requirement of a Class A Commercial Driver's License (CDL) with Air Brake Endorsement. If you enjoy being physically active, working outside, working in a team environment, and want to help make your community clean, safe, and welcoming to all, join us and apply! Seasonal PUW 2 are temporary assignments for six (6) months and not eligible for benefits, other than Oregon Sick Leave. The seasonal work starts from May through October 2023. You can expect to work a set schedule of 4 days/10-hour shift during Monday - Friday and no weekends.
- Learn more by watching these short videos:
- Come join the City's seasonal work crew: https://youtu.be/idxH9safEOs
- How I launched my career in Public Works: https://youtu.be/tk7uVftxsrI
- We will train on all tasks to be performed.
- Seasonal employees support good roadways in the City of Gresham.
- As a Seasonal PUW 2, you will perform installation, maintenance, repair activities on the City's street systems and related facilities.
- To accomplish this work, you will be required to operate a dump truck with a trailer, a variety tools and equipment such as: shovels, picks, hand and riding mowers, drills, jackhammers, compressors and portable concrete saws.
- You will need to learn and understand basic maintenance and repair methods used in your assigned area.
- Learning and applying all safety practices and procedures are needed including the operation of light equipment and tools.
- You will use your computer skills to record data and information related to your work.
Required Skills and Qualifications:
- High school graduate or GED
- One (1) to four (4) years of experience in related physical work
- Valid Commercial driver's license (CDL) with air brake endorsement and 1 year experience driving "Class A" vehicles
- Good driving record (based on our driving matrix)
- No previous DOT drug and alcohol testing violations
- Must be at least 18 years of age on hire date
- Must have the physical ability to lift objects and equipment ranging from 25 to 85 pounds and perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodation
- Effective communication skills - must understand instructions in English, both orally and in writing
- Please note: City vehicles may be either standard or automatic. We need someone who can operate both proficiently.
- You will be disqualified from this process if you possess any of the following driving infractions: A major traffic violation or accident that results in death or major injury
- Driving under the influence (DUI) charge
Preferred Skills and Qualifications:
- We want someone who is willing to learn, work hard, show up on time each day with a good attitude, and can get along well with others while taking direction from supervisors.
- Since the nature of this work involves physical movement, your strength and agility are required to perform manual labor.
- Since the weather conditions can vary, your adaptability to conditions that may be uncomfortable is of great importance.
- We welcome your good communication skills to interact with other City employees and citizens in a courteous manner.
- There will be times that you will drive City vehicles which will involve completion of pre-trip inspections and safe, practical driving skills.
- Your work will be done in a team environment with some tasks being done alone.
- City's core values: Collaborative - We work together; Practical - We get it done; Inventive - We seize opportunities; Nimble - We roll with it; and Equitable - We remove barriers.
Compensation: $25.07 Hourly
Required Application Materials:
- Complete online application (do not put 'see resume' in any fields)
- Complete answers to supplemental questions
- 3 Professional references